Thursday, May 14, 2015

Last Week in Mexico - Sister Maren Madsen

Written by Sister Maren Madsen, training at the Mexico Missionary Training Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This week she will report to the Arkansas Little Rock Mission, speaking Spanish.

Hermanas Siler and Madsen, Mexico MTC
Thanks for the letter! I am so grateful for those Missionary Package MX perks. We just got the package yesterday. I guess they had to wait for the Costco guy to make a run. Everyone (including the teachers) went crazy over the popcorn. I guess if my social skills were less mediocre I could always buy my friends with chips and promitas!

So we asked one the of the Presidents about calling home when we get in the airport and they said that they weren't supposed to give counsel on that subject, but they also said that the missionary hand book says only two phone calls home a year... guilt trip.. so I will email you in Arkansas.

It's funny, Hermana Siler saw me using my scalers on my teeth one night and she was acting super interested in it, so I gave her a couple and took the opportunity to educate her on plaque. It was good times. I am glad I was able to talk to y'all on Mothers' Day! It was cool to be on the other end of the phone call this time. Although, to be honest, I was super nervous and scared to call because I didn't want to get trunky. But it went really well and I was happy to see that I had already broken that homesickness barrier. It was sad to see all the people who had just arrived that week and the week before crying. I just thought to myself how lucky I was to leave when I did because I know I would have been the exact same way.

So this was a pretty tough, mentally challenging week. I have been getting super frustrated with myself for so many reasons, am not going to bore you with. Needless to say, prayer has been a large part of my week. I have been struggling with my progress in the language and my progress personally. I don't just have missionary-syndrome and think I should be much better than I have given myself credit for, I am seriously not the type of missionary I think Christ deserves in his workforce. I have realized so many things about myself in the last 6 weeks, that make me so dumbfounded at the subtle workings of God. This mission truly is the most necessary part of my progression. Changing to a brand new person is no easy task, but I am faithful that the Lord will shape me into the exact servant he needs. I now realize that he cannot shape me unless I am willing to "go through Gethsemane" just as he did.

We were able to watch a video called "Missionary Work and the Atonement" by Elder Holland and Elder Eyring. I cried both times we watched it. One of the many amazing quotes found in the video is by Elder Holland and it describes the life of Christ. He says, "Why do we as missionaries think that our time out in the field should be just a little bit easier, when it was never easy for him." He also says, "I am convinced that missionary work is so hard because Salvation is not a cheap experience"

I know that work is difficult in all aspects, but so was Christ's life. But his was for a much bigger purpose. Christ's work will press on and if I want to be apart of his army, then I need to earn my armor. I know the outcome, and I know which side I want to be on.

Love you! Next time you hear from me, I will be in ARKANSAS!

Hermana Madsen

Mexico MTC Week 4 (May 7, 2015)

Semana Loca  (May 18, 2015)

View from my room at the Mexico MTC