Monday, February 2, 2015

Put the Lord First - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I have some good news! V** told her relative that she wants to get married this Valentine's Day. It's hard to find people to teach because they work all day! J** and D** did a tour of the church with us and basically accepted our invitation to be baptized the 28th of Febrero. I say "basically" because they said yes, but they aren't committing to attend church. Faith, faith.

We had interviews with President Archibald, and he told me a few interesting things. Before I share them, I want to explain that these things are not to offend, but to get an idea of what we're really doing as missionaries in this part of the world. President told me that the people here work too much. A burro can work all day, and can even work harder than a person, but that's all they do. Animals sleep and eat, just like people. A dog can get drunk and you can even teach a monkey how to smoke a cigar. All these things that people think is "life" is the same that stuff animals do. We're human, and we're children of God. It takes a child of God to think about spiritual things and to do other human things. When was the last time you wrote a poem? When was the last time you even read a poem? So, when people are working all day and night trying to put a 3rd floor on their house, they should remember that it's better to stick with 2 floors and live like human beings.

Well, I guess that sums it up. As missionaries we can help people realize what they really are. We are not animals at all, but I feel like we sometimes live like them. I'm trying to find a good way to share that with investigators.

Vi** is a newer investigator we found. I've only taught him twice, but he's such a good guy. He gave us a ride in his motor-tricycle. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he was excited to have it.

Ve**, a rescued member, got her first few ancestors added to her family history account. The branch is starting to understand how to retain converts and help less active members better. All in all, I'm doing okay. But, like President told me, ''you're in for the long haul.''

I love you so much! I'm not trunky yet (**this means to be excited to come home), but I have had dreams about the family several times this last week. I also had a dream that I was trying to get a guy to pray. Like, insisting relentlessly. Welcome to the mission ;) I hope things go well :) I can't believe how fast time flies! Let's put the Lord first and He won't put us last :)

Love,
Elder Jake Avery

Beans, Water Balloons, and Old Folks (January 26, 2015)

Happy Birthday, Elder Avery!  (February 9, 2015)