Monday, February 9, 2015

Happy Birthday, Elder Avery! - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Birthday Mango!
Dear Mom,

I haven't gotten the package yet. We'll see when we get stuff up here from Lima.

I cannot believe that I'm going to be 20 tomorrow...... I feel so old. Especially with my 18 year old companion. I got my call on Valentine's day in 2013, and this week will be 2 years since I got my call. Woooow. Hannah's going home too. It's just like the end of the world when I think about ending my mission. Sometimes I just need a pause button.

This transfer was soooo rough!! Can I just say that? I called President on Wednesday and we talked for a bit about the area, the district, and me. He told me that we have to be happy and edifying. ''The Spirit always edifies,'' he told me. He also talked about being consistent. He told me that we have to be constant and persistent. It's kind of tough when I have people looking to me for answers and I don't really have anything to offer. My companion is a fireball, which helps tremendously. We're having baptisms this transfer, no matter what!

I'm glad that things are going good at home. I just feel overly spoiled with all the blessings and privileges I've had in my life. Going without a shower because there's no running water is hardly a setback when I consider all of the blessings the Lord has given me. I'm trying to get through all of Preach my Gospel again and do all the activities at the back of each chapter, and I'm realizing that I will never get done before the end of my mission. It's a great book but there's so much to it. That's what I love about it. It helps a new missionary learn how to do simple things, but it helps more experienced missionaries appreciate the gospel, rather than just teaching it.

Anyways, I can ramble forever.

The Ga** family is being disagreeable. We're going to try to save them this week. We had a night to talk to their 30 year old kid who is a Catholic missionary. I don't know whose side this kid is on because sometimes he says that the Catholic church is bad, then sometimes he says that he'd never get baptized again, but either way I can't wait until he goes back to Cusco.

The Si** family is super interesting. The mom, Ca**, is super interested in why there are so many churches. We taught them about the first vision and they were soooo blown away. I was just thinking, ''Finally! Someone understands the magnitude!'' They had questions about how the Spirit works and how they can know if Joseph's testimony is true. We didn't even get around to teaching them about the Book of Mormon, but next time we will.

We helped one lady named Em** harvest sweet potatoes, and helped another lady chop down corn, then we played jump rope with a huge family. We're visiting them this week!!

Mom, share this with Dad. I just decided to make this my weekly report. I love you so much and I'm so grateful that you and Dad have been so valiant and have taught us so much about the gospel. Most moms aren't like you. I remember you reading to us for years and years, and I remember seeing you be at the top of your bio chem class and just thinking that I wanted to be super smart like my mom. I love you so much and hope you have a great week!

P.S. I'm spending my birthday money today!!

Love,

Elder Avery

Put the Lord First (February 2, 2015)

We Are Here To Baptize  (February 16, 2015)