Monday, January 5, 2015

Miracles and Transfers - Elder Brian Burgess

Written by Elder Brian Burgess, serving in the Mexico Puebla North Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Present from my bishop, a nice tie.
HEY EVERYONE!!

AMAZING WEEK!! On Monday we got a call from a member who just got back from a mission in Argentina! Super cool brother! So he tells us that the stake president's daughter has a referral for us to teach. Pamela, the stake president's daughter who lives in the ward by mine, in the Alamos ward, has as a friend named L**, who lives in our ward, and our area. L** went to church with Pamela on Sunday and then brother Kevin, (the returned missionary) taught her about the Restoration that same day. On Tuesday we met her and taught her part of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. And then, in that same appointment, we scheduled a baptismal date with her. She will be baptized on the 31st of this month. She is what we call, a GOLDEN INVESTIGATOR! Throughout the week, we visited with her 3 times and she is progressing amazingly! She has a ton of questions and is loving everything! We invited her to pray about the church, and she told us her amazing spiritual experience that she had by the next day. I am still in shock!

So then, on Wednesday, we were super excited after a very struggling 4 months in our area, and Elder Mendoza and I having seen many small miracles, but nothing compared to L**. Then in the lunch appointment we get a call....
Pamela (far left), L** (Our golden investigator), Elder Mendoza and Me

Caller ID - Assistants......Elder Kenney, "Elder Burgess how are you?" to which I replied, "Doing great, Elder Kenney. What's up?" "Elder, pass the phone to your companion...." .... About 30 seconds later he hands me the phone back and tells me, "Elder, I have transfers and I am going to train!" I replied, "Sweet! Congrats, Elder." Then he gave me a muffled voice, saddened response, "Elder Kenney wants to talk to you." WHAT COULD I HAVE POSSIBLY DONE? haha! "Hey Elder Kenney," I said. Then he said, "Elder Burgess your companion is going to train and he has transfers. And you also have transfers. Two new Zone Leaders will be replacing you both." At that moment, ice hit my heart, "But Elder, we just a baptism with a golden investigator!" Then he responded, to end the call, "I am sorry Elder."

Tomorrow my companion and I will be leaving the area. I understand that President Christensen recieves revelation about whether we should have transfers or not. I was a little sad at first, but I trust in President's decision.

My time here in the Resurgimiento Ward is up, and L** will be taught now by the new missionaries. I am still happy that I found her and was able to see a miracle in my life, and that change in hers.

I testify that the church is true! President Monson IS the prophet that God has chosen to lead and guide the church today! May we all be humble and obedient to the things that he says, for it is if the Lord said it himself.

 Transfers are tomorrow.

¡QUE TENGAN UNA SEMANA MARAVILLOSA!

Elder Burgess

Christmas in Mexico (December 29, 2015)

Don't Try This At Home  (January 19, 2015)