Monday, December 22, 2014

Ipoh, Malaysia - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

(Clicking on photos will enlarge them!)

Elders Jones, Roundy, Li and Avery
The plane the brought us from Singapore to Malaysia
Dear family and friends!

Malaysia is awesome, and so different, haha! This week was crazy. First off, immigration is tough. I will tell you about that on Thursday...but I made it through, yipeee!

The first day in Malaysia we went to get my bike. We went to the ATM, I put in my pin, and it kept saying that I was putting in the wrong number. I tried my ATM card and debit card at two different ATMs, and neither were working. What a drag! So we didn't know what to do. We called the number on the back of the card, and the lady said that I had four more tries to get it right before it locked me out. After a huge set back we prayed, and I messed up again. Then we found another ATM and it worked! So, I don't know what that was all about.

On the way to get my bike, this Chinese guy ran out to us yelling, "Tell me about your church!" We talked to him and gave him the address to the building. He didn't come Sunday, so we will see what happens.

Then, I got my bike for 712 ringot!...which included the lights and mudflaps! In US money, that is only about 200 bucks! So sweet! A real miracle!! After that it poured, and I have never been so soaked in my entire life.

The next day was also crazy. One of the Sisters' investigators needed help moving. The lady they are teaching is a little different. Her car is plastered in Playboy bunnies and... yeah...While we were moving, a guy she hired to help broke a pipe and her old house started flooding. That was rough! The moving was supposed to be 3 hours, but then it took 5 and a half. That was a little annoying, but she has no one else to help her.

We are teaching a guy named I**. He and his mom have baptisms scheduled.

I've never been so soaked in my entire life!
I am amazed at how many Chinese people there are here. Elder Li and I decided that our vision for what we want to do here is to lay the foundation for us to one day have a Mandarin Branch in Ipoh. By the way, it is pronounced EE-POH.

I am struggling with the Mandarin language. Every Sunday they have Elder Li and I translate for the Mandarin speakers at church. I feel bad because he has to do all of the translations. The members compare me to the elder who was here before me. He goes home in 6 months so, of course, his Chinese is better than mine! haha! Oh well, I am sure the language will come in time.

I will Skype Christmas day around noon, which will be Christmas eve for all of you. I got the Christmas package and I guess I had stuff from Heather I am supposed to open. Didn't know that! Woops! But now I have something fun to do tonight!

Love You All,

Feng Zhang Lao
Our Christmas tree and packages

Zai Jian (Goodbye) December 15, 2014

Merry Christmas from Malaysia!  (December 29, 2014)

Arriving at the airport in Malaysia














We received a warm welcome!
Everything GREEN for the GREENIES!
"Hairy Fruit"

These little guys live in my apartment!
Raining cats and dogs!....
Merry Christmas!!
Imagine biking in this! Fun times!