Monday, August 5, 2013

Chocolate Milk and Stinky Cheese - Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, currently serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

Real quick, the deodorant here doesn't work for me. Will you send some? And that gel I left back with you also? And a thumb drive? They are expensive here, and way too big. That’s all I can think of right now.

Something way embarrassing just happened while I was emailing. I bought a chocolate milk, and it was in my backpack on my lap while I was emailing dad real quick. The backpack fell off my lap onto the floor. I heard a crack, and the next thing I see is a nice, little puddle of brown start spreading. It looked like someone’s head just split open, so Elders Earl and Hansen thought it was super funny. We all had drinks out, right as that happened, so they hide theirs. So I am just left here, all alone, trying to figure out what to do. So I grabbed my backpack, went into the bathroom, and filled it up with paper towels. I walked back all casual so the librarian would think nothing of it, then I started cleaning it up. By now, everyone is just staring at me. What great missionaries, right?!?! I threw the bottle away, and now I am out 10 kroner (about 2 bucks, and that’s cheap!). Everything is so expensive here.

This week has been a little rough because we had a lot going on between exchanges and getting things worked out, and the fact that we keep losing all of our investigators. It kind of stinks, but on the bright side, we had some of the best lessons this week.

It is hard because Danes are always busy. The weird part is, you know they are not working because everything in Denmark closes at four o’clock, with few exceptions. Business hours here are from 10 am to 4 pm. Crazy, right?! Anyway, we haven’t found anyone to help, so we are going to teach some members of our congregation. We're lacking numbers, but it's not all about numbers.

We actually had Carl Madsen (name changed for privacy) come to church. It was awesome! He participated in class, and everyone came up to him and said, "hi." That's one step closer to getting him reactivated and back into the fold of Christ. A good thing about here in our mission is that we don’t base success on baptisms and confirmations. Our purpose is not to baptize, it’s to bring others to Christ by helping them through the necessary steps they need to take. This is done by strengthening active members of the church and bringing back those who have lost their way. And, of course, teaching those who have never heard of their Savior. We are still working hard, and we are being blessed to see people come back into the fold of God, through His son, Jesus Christ.

Well, I love you, and I want you to know that I know the Lord is involved in our lives. He blesses us so much! I posted another video. The second part its nasty cheese, so yeah. Anyway, I love you and want you know that everything is going well here. I know God loves us and wants us to help his children who need to feel His love.

Love you!

Med Kære Hilsen.

Ældste Madsen

Click here to watch Part 2 of Elder Madsen's birthday food surprise!

Service and Soccer in Denmark (July 29, 2013)

Miracles in Denmark (August 12, 2013)

Elder Hansen and Elder Madsen

We visited a Mirror Museum
Levitating in the mirror museum




Studying at its finest! The APs moved my desk into the bathroom!
So I moved their desks, too!


A beautiful area of Hellerup
Represent!