Monday, July 29, 2013

Service and Soccer in Denmark - Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, currently serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

This week we had some good service opportunities as Alex (name changed for privacy) decided to move, so we helped him out with that. That brings us down to one investigator, so more finding opportunities this week, yeah! I am excited.

This week started normal, just like every week. But we had a way good barbecue with Alex because he was moving. We gave him a going away party. It was fun! We had burgers and chips. They were way good. Everything, minus the chips, was homemade...patties and all. Super good!

Another thing that made this week super fun was our district activity. That means we give up a  preparation day (P-day) to hang out with the district. So we went to a soccer game. A really live, professional European soccer game! It was so much fun. We had a blast! I have pictures. It made me want to play soccer way bad, but I told myself I would wait until next June to play soccer. Dumb knee. Anyway, it was way cool.

On Saturday I went on splits with Elder Jensen. He was in my group. I went with him because Elder Hansen had a baptism to go to. So yeah, it was great. I got lost and then we found our way, thankfully, and worked hard. It's crazy how much Danish I know! And it only comes out when I am with someone that I know is either equal or lower in speaking level than I. But this week, again, very good.

I am going to start making video dairies on Sundays to talk about he week. I will send those home on the flash drive as well. So hopefully for Christmas you will have that. I thought it would be pretty cool anyway.

I hope you're enjoying your time without the girls (Kolby's sisters are in Idaho). I actually did kinda struggle this week, as I thought about time and how fast it's going. I made the mistake of thinking how long I have been out here. That is when I realized I need to pick up the pace and start really studying the language better. I just felt like I was being very lazy and digressing (in my personal, missionary way). I started to stress until I read a letter from Monica. Again she came in for the rescue. Every time she writes me, it just helps. She told me about her week, and a story about how she was scheduled to work on Sunday. She said she'd been upset that she was going to miss church again. Then she told me she showed up to work and the schedule was changed. Now she could go home right before and get to church on time. She told me how blessed she felt, and it was at that time when I realized that, yeah, I am not just going to wake up one day and be fluent in the language. It's completely irrational to think that way. I should be like Monica and just really think about the little things that I have received, and the things that the Lord had blessed me with, and the things that I should be grateful for.

So from now on, every prayer I will focus more on the things that I have received, and not worry about the things that I would like for myself. It will come. I just need to be patient and thankful for those things the Lord has given me.

Well, I just want to say that I know this gospel is true. When you break it all down and see the bigger picture, all you need to know is that God loves you, and because of that he sent his son to earth, Jesus Christ. And because of the great example that God set, Jesus followed. And with the love He has for us, He provided a way for us to come back to Him. And the details on what that entails come from the Prophets that we have on this earth today. Through our faith in God, and our diligence to Him and his sons and daughters He has called to lead us, and by following his inspiration, we can return back to Him. Gud Elkser dig og han ønske dig at kommer til ham. følger hans profeten (God loves you and wants you to come to Him. He has a prophet).

Med Kære Hilsen (with love and greetings),

Ældste Madsen

Chocolate Milk and Stinky Cheese (August 5, 2013)

Happy Birthday, Elder Madsen (July 22, 2013)

Kaerlighed means "LOVE"
This is where we had Family Home Evening




















Awesome seats at the soccer game!
Our REAL, live, European soccer game!


This is where I got lost, but cool picture!