Monday, June 1, 2015

Two Years Is Not Forever - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish. 

So this week was interesting. We had to get our new room ready because we moved in on Saturday. We painted the room one day, went one more morning to finish, then had to do the move. Temporal things like moving and room hunting are my least favorite activities in the mission because they feel like wastes of time to me. Especially when the parties involved are already members of the church, so we can't use moving as a way to start teaching them.

We took almost all Saturday to move our stuff, went out to teach, and then were up late organizing because we knew we wouldn't have time to do it today. Sometimes you get tired working a lot, but there's a scripture that I really like that talks about working in the Lord's service D&C 84:80.

"And any man that shall go and preach this gospel of the kingdom, and fail not to continue faithful in all things, shall not be weary in mind, neither darkened, neither in body, limb, nor joint; and a hair of his head shall not fall to the ground unnoticed. And they shall not go hungry, neither athirst."

My companion and I have had a bunch of problems to handle, from missionaries breaking their keys in the door to shootings in other missionaries' wards, but after working non-stop for all this time I've realized that the Lord gives his servants what they need. Without exception. I've had miracles where a bus driver gives us discounts, we're perfectly awake after a few short hours of sleep, I pray the words ''HELP ME,'' and in less than half an hour it comes and sometimes someone gives us food out of nowhere.

I noticed at General Conference  in April that Elder Perry still had tons of energy, especially for a 92 year old man, Elder Hales didn't have his oxygen tank last conference, and President Packer has been old for a long time. Where does it all come from? The Lord! 3 Nephi 13

"Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, even so will he clothe you, if ye are not of little faith."

So we're getting towards the end of this. I remember asking President Archibald for an interview to renew my temple recommend the other night after a meeting we had with he and the stake president. President told me, ''It's already taken care of,'' and I thought ''Aye aye, Captain.'' I can't believe how fast two years went by! I remember getting my first recommend and thinking that it'd be forever before I needed a new one. But I was wrong....two years is not forever.

I love you all and I'm so thankful for your support until the end. We're ready to crank things out and give it our all. Thanks so much for the prayers!! I know that God loves and watches over us.

Love, Elder Jake Avery

Money and Honey (May 25, 2015)

My Last Week in Peru  (June 8, 2015)