Monday, May 4, 2015

God's Love for Us - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Kittens in an elephant :)
Dear Family and Friends,

This week we visited a lot of the members and I have loved to get to know them. One member that I have particularly come to love is Sister Pa**. She is a little Indian lady in a wheel chair and has special needs. We visited her early this week and while we were talking she pointed to an elephant statue on her porch and said, "There are four cats in there." I was thinking, "another crazy person," then she told us to pick up the statue. Elder Earl picked it up and out of a little hole four little kittens popped out! I was so shocked haha! She is so great and just radiates the light of Christ. She is the only member of the church in her family and has the title of "The best missionary in Melaka." It made me remember how much I loved working with the Special Needs Mutual on Thursday nights during my senior year of high school. You will never receive more unconditional love from anyone ever. It is the closest thing I know to God's love for us.

This week Elder Earl and I had a goal to find two new investigators. On Monday we had a lesson with a new investigator and we had a new investigator lesson planned for Saturday. We went to the lesson on Saturday and were saddened when we received a text that said our soon-to-be new investigator wouldn't be able to make it. But then he said that he could meet next week and that he will bring one of his other friends who is currently a potential investigator. It was a blessing in disguise and we are excited for this upcoming week.

Nothing super crazy happened this week. I am definitely feeling more comfortable with my Chinese. So yay! :) Things still have a long way to go, but it's going!

Love you all,
Elder Avery

Maleka (April 27, 2015)

Zone Meeting and Rugby  (May 4, 2015)

My sweet friend, Sister Pa**
Elders...walking and walking and walking....