Monday, May 4, 2015

Cambios - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I'm leaving Vegueta. The first thing I thought when I heard this was, ''¡¿Que en el mundo?!'' I can hardly believe it! I was really convinced that I was finishing my mission here. The funny thing is... I'm very excited. I don't feel bothered or annoyed, but I feel ready for another challenge. It should be one last sprint because this will be my last transfer in the mission. There's lots of room to baptize and plenty of good to do in 6 weeks. The annoying thing is, I have no idea where I'm going...

Yeah, so the list of people that need get married one day will pass on to other missionaries. Thank goodness and how thankful I will be when that day arrives. We started teaching a less active guy named Jo** and his partner Ma**. He just got his appendix taken out when he found him, but now he's healthy enough to go to church and they did. They went to church and got their baby, Ra**, blessed. He has a pretty cool name. It's actually Jo**'s middle name too. That was a huge highlight of the week. It's been months since we've had a baby blessing in Vegueta.

This week I learned the importance of diligence and the possibility of miracles. It was a rough first few days of the week. I wasn't in my area for the first day and the second and third day were less than ideal. We got to Saturday and we had one new investigator when our goal was 10. I was nervous and really searching for someone to teach. My companion politely reminded me to visit someone who I really didn't want to visit. It was a family that kind of blew us off and I wasn't in the mood to visit investigators who don't want to progress.

When we got there they weren't ready for a visit, so they asked for 30 minutes. I was thinking, ''See, that's what happens,'' but then we had the impression to visit a really poor family that we had never been ever to visit. The dad's name is El**. We only knew that because we had asked his kids like 87 times, but he was always working. That night when we asked for El** they said he was there! When he came to the door, he let us in!! I was like, ''oh yeah!'' He was there with three of his kids and one of his nieces in an open lot (the house was a shack too small for us to fit into), under the open sky with a few farm animals. We did a small Family Home Evening and did the animal game to finish. It was great to see the family laugh and have so much fun together. I'm sure that they had never done anything like that before. At the end of our visit he invited us back. We then took the other family that I didn't want to visit to the church, and I have a feeling that they'll keep progressing.

Well, I know the church is true and I'm so grateful to be a member of it. When we do things how He wants things done and listen, He will direct us to people (and even help a worried, arrogant missionary make his goals that he worries about way too much!). Have a great week and have a great Mother's Day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!! I love you all!


Love,
Elder Jake Avery

Interview with Presidente
(April 27, 2015)

Ventanilla, Peru  (May 11, 2015)