Monday, March 16, 2015

Two Years in the School of Life - Elder Kolby Madsen

Elder Kolby Madsen, Denmark Copenhagen Mission
Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.








Mor,

Well, to answer your question, this is my last email.  I will be traveling to KBH (Copenhagen) next week, so this is it.

I am way happy to hear that Michael got his mission call. That’s great.

This week was one of the best weeks we have had. We taught a good chunk of lessons, so that was great. We find out who is taking my place here on Wednesday. 

I love you all. Keep up the great work. I am  going to attach the last email that I am writing for the blog. I don’t really want to think about the end. I have a solid week of hard work to finish here in Denmark before I can start thinking about the work to be had there at home.

Well, keep it up. I love you. See you soon.

Med Kærlig Hilsen,

Ældste Madsen

Two Years in the School of Life:

I have had some great learning experiences here in the mission field, beginning in the California Fresno Mission, then coming to Denmark....over 5000 miles away from my home. The lessons we learn as missionaries, regardless of where we serve, are priceless. They are things you can’t learn in any other setting.

I've had to live with ten different men from various backgrounds, and learn to be their best friend (or at least become someone that they can count on), without knowing anything about them before hand, other than the fact that they are out here to do the same thing I am.

I learned more about God's plan for us here on Earth. The Lord has given us this wonderful opportunity to work in his vineyard and serve his children, without having to worry about the worldly things. We don't have cell phones, Facebook, Instagram, or even our families. This gives us the opportunity to focus on something much bigger than ourselves.

Some of us come to serve in a place where we don't know the language. The culture is different, and the people have different ideals and opinions. Things that are accepted here may not be accepted at home, and much more. We do it all to lose ourselves, and find out who we really are by focusing on those around us much more than ourselves. We care more for a person that we just met than we have even cared about some of our friends in the past. Why? Because of the love we feel from our Father, the One in heaven, who is teaching us that there is much more than just our little earthly home, surrounded mostly by people we know.

Of the many lessons we learn and the many people we meet, the thing that means the most is developing a stronger and deeper testimony of our brother, Jesus Christ. He gives us the desire to change who we are. He gives us the power, through His infinite atonement, to change for the better and become a true disciple of Christ. We learn to follow Him.

In following Christ, we want to learn more about Him, give to others, and share His love in a very real sense. He walks by our side when it's cold, wet, and dark. We don't see him, but we see his actions, his blessings, and his love for others and for us.

I am so thankful for these two years that I've been given to learn of the Savior, and to follow in his footsteps. He is my example. He called me to do his work. To cast out demons and heal the sick. To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. How? By listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, then having the courage to do what we're told. We can’t accomplish anything unless we allow ourselves to be tools in the hands of the Master. He speaks, and we listen. His spirit testifies of truth.

As missionaries, we learn of the heartache a father must feel as he watches his children walking away from light and safety. This pushes us to be better, to help everyone that we can, and think of everyone but ourselves. We do not train for the mission. The mission trains us, even for the things to come. Nothing is written, and nothing is scripted.

There will be trials, and there will be hard times. These only to make us who we need to be. My prayer and wish is that I have done all the that Lord has asked me. I hope I am the son he needs me to be at this current moment in time.

I know this is the work of the Lord. I know the hastening is now. I know Jesus is the Christ, our Savior, and our Redeemer. He made it possible for us to come back to God. He is our example and our guide! Our Heavenly Father loves each of us, regardless of our faults and flaws. He is willing to work with us, taking all the time we need. We all go at our own tempo. The Lord knows that tempo. He is ready when we are. His arms are open. His grace is sufficient. Reach out and accept Him. Use the gift we have been given! It’s there for the taking. Tag imod Kristus!  (Accept Christ!)  In his name, even Jesus Christ, Amen.

Med Kærlig Hilsen,

Ældste Madsen

Gifts (March 9, 2015)

Welcome Home, Elder Madsen!  (March 24, 2015)