Monday, March 9, 2015

Transfers and the Gift of Tongues - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. These are the Petronas Towers,
and were the tallest towers in the world until 2004.
Dear Family and Friends,

Transfer news just came. I am staying another round in Ipoh, and Elder Wadsworth will be my new companion. He was just the AP (Assistant to the Mission President) and everyone says he is amazing! That will be fun, but I will definitely miss Elder Li and his knowledge of which sketchy Indian restaurants are okay to eat at.

Yesterday I experienced the gift of tongues in a very real way. I had the opportunity to confirm K**, our investigator, a member of the church. I was so scared and was praying so hard. I had never given a blessing in Chinese before, especially not in front of a congregation at church. But when I spoke, I was able to say everything the Spirit prompted me to say. It was awesome and is another testimony of how much power God has. I know I lack the abilities to learn Chinese on my own, but thankfully God can do anything.

The thing about Elder Lallamant is all good. He is safe and President was the first to know about it. God protects us.

By the way, I had a dream last night that Hannah told me that Jonathan spoke to her in a dream and he said that I was going to Bintulu. HAHA! Clearly transfers were on my mind. Maybe I will go to Bintulu some day.

Love you all,

Elder Avery

Trains and Planes (March 2, 2015)

Crash  (March 16, 2015)