Monday, March 30, 2015

New Companion - Elder Jacob Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Well, I'm so sorry that I'm out of time to write......

My new companion is Elder Picuasi and he's from Equador. He's 25 and he's super interesting. He's already finished college and was working before he came out on his mission. His whole family are members of the church, and his parents were baptized when he was 5. He has a sister who is 15. He played soccer in the professional soccer league for 18 and under until he lost all the juice in his knee when he was about 18 years old. Someone stepped on him or something like that.

An** went to church this Sunday. They want to get married in October, but that's a long time from now.

We found 2 new families this week, which I'm super excited about. But there is still a lot to learn about how to teach and what amount of information is appropriate the first visit. For example, the Urim and Thummim is not really necessary to mention.

One family is the Mi** Family. They are really rich people, but really sincere. They have a sister who speaks English. The other family is Ri** and Je**, who's last name escapes me.

I'm working in the last 12 weeks of my mission to become more Christlike, which was a struggle last night when this dude told me, ''No, don't interrupt me because I'm talking about love and you want to talk about something else.''

There's a survey in Preach My Gospel that lets you rate your Christlike attributes, and I'm doing it every Monday until I get home, hoping that I will be able to be better. I think that C.S. Lewis was right when he said, ''We don't realize how bad we are until we really try to be good.''

I can't wait for Conference this week and Easter! I love you guys and I hope that you have a safe and happy week!

Elder Jake Avery

Insac (March 23, 2015)

General Conference  (April 6, 2015)


This is how we teach English class :)