Monday, February 23, 2015

Chinese New Year - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, serving in the Singapore Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Dear Family and friends,

Sorry if any of you were worried. We have Zone Conference and I have been traveling all day. We took a train to Kuala Lumpur and a plane to Singapore. The train ride was so pretty and I got some good pictures. Flying Air Asia is a joke....that was not my favorite. I think I might miss Southwest....just kidding, it wasn't that bad, haha!

This week was so awesome.  Two weeks ago the Spirit led us to a young man who was out playing badminton. I forgot what I said to him, but after I said it I remember feeling like I said the wrong thing. Thankfully, Elder Li jumped in and knew what to say. We ended up being able to set up an appointment with him for this week. When we went to his house, he invited his whole family for the lesson. They were Christian and were very receptive to the message. They believe all that we taught is true, and they are so amazing. They always try to feed us and give us money, when they are poorer than poor. They are from Myanmar and had to flee to Malaysia because the Myanmar government was killing Christians. All together it is 2 uncles, an aunt, a mom, a dad, and 3 kids in the house. They speak Chin but their young kids have decent enough English so that we can teach them. Since we found out they are refugees (and are in a legal program here by the United Nations), we probably can't teach them anymore, which makes me sad. But I know the Spirit led us to them. They are moving to Springfield, Missouri, USA, in July. We will have to make sure the missionaries find them there.

We made progress with L* J**, but it could be better...I don't know what happened to Jo** :( Earlier, I had ruled death out of the possibilities because his phone was still on, but it has been dead since the beginning of last week now. I am worried. No one would know if anything happened to him.

Elder Li has been really nice and has been trying to help me with my stutter. He feels like that is probably the biggest thing keeping me from communicating with the people here. The Asian people here don't understand what a stutter is and just want me to speak normally. They tell me the dumbest things about it...it drives me insane!

This week was really great. Chinese New Year was cool, but the Malaysian government made fireworks illegal....so that made things less exciting. Had some great food. Can't wait to tell you about Singapore next week!

Love,
Elder Avery

Happiness and Prosperity (February 16, 2015)

Trains and Planes  (March 2, 2015)

President and Sister Mains and Singapore Mission Elders




Elder Joshua Avery