Monday, November 10, 2014

The Fourth Missionary - Elder Joshua Avery

Written by Elder Joshua Avery, training at the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In December he will travel to the Singapore Mission, speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Elder Avery and Elder Harmon
Hey!

Earlier this week my district got our Chinese name tags. I wanted to send a picture of it, but I forgot to bring my camera to the lab. I also have pictures of Max (Wimmer) and I, and him getting ready to leave for Singapore. I'm sure Sister Wimmer wants those, so I will do my best to get those to you next week. It's so cool that Max is in Sibu! Let me know how he likes it. 

So now for this week, it was awesome! I felt really good this week and my chest isn't hurting anymore. I only eat the salads, which is a drag...but at least it will keep my tummy from being sick. 

The night I was packing to leave for the MTC, I went through my mountains of papers I have held onto for years. In that stack I found a talk titled, "The Fourth Missionary," which Jake had mailed to me but I'd never read before. I felt prompted to bring it with me, and it is life changing! I'd say that has definitely been one of my biggest learning experiences this week. I'd tell you all about it, but you really just need to look it up yourself. 

Our Tuesday night devotional is being broadcasted to MTCs around the world. So I think that means a General Authority is coming. YEAH!!!! My companion and I are singing in the choir. The choir is singing a really cool arrangement of "Praise to the Man". It's the same arrangement they sang when David Archeletta sang with the MTC choir at General Conference.

I was released from being district leader yesterday. It was bitter sweet. Elder Harmon and I were called as Sacrament coordinators, which means we pick who blesses and passes. I am excited to say the sacrament prayer in Chinese!

So this week I broke two things...my watch and my oil vial. But no worries! We have an Asian elder in my district, so my watch is now good as new! He can fix anything! My oil vial could not be fixed though. The glass shattered everywhere...I think a piece of my heart shattered with it. Just kidding! But it was a bummer. I bought a new, more durable one at the bookstore today. Hopefully this one holds up.

I went to the MTC barbershop today. They have a vacuum that sucks up all the hair so it doesn't get on your suit. It's pretty cool, but I still only think I'll go on P-days.

Oh! and this week I was reading the bible dictionary and found some interesting things. Read what it says about the Dead Sea Scrolls, Apocrypha, Pseeudepigrapha, and the last paragraph of what is says about Enoch. I want to study more about these things when I get back, but those books are not in the missionary library :)

As far as things to send me, letters are my favorite. Packages are cool, but letters are the best. The hardest thing about the MTC is probably staying awake. Haha, some days during personal study time I'll look around the classroom and see that I am the only one awake. My favorite part about the MTC is the devotionals. They find the best speakers!!!

Love you all!
Feng Zhang Lao
Elder Joshua Avery
DEC15 SINGAPR
2007 N. 900 E. Unit 2
Provo, UT 84602

The Galloping Elder  (November 3, 2014)

Let God Do His Thing  (November 17, 2014)