Monday, November 24, 2014

Just Because God Loves You That Much - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hola friends and family!

It's been a crazy week this week! To start off, we had transfers! Hermana Martinez left me this week and I got a cute new companion named Hermana Evans. She is a brand new Sister Training Leader, 20 years old, has 9 months in the mission, and is from San Diego, California! Let me tell you, after MONTHS of basically straight up Spanish, I am thrilled to be able to speak a little English and fix up this horrible "Nacho Libre" English accent I have going on here! haha! We are already great friends, laugh every 5 seconds, and have seen some amazing miracles this weekend that we have been together! We both want to work out hearts out :)

Well, we found 7 new investigators in 2 days this weekend, and they are all really great! We are hoping to have some success with them and are excited to watch them grow and progress as they learn the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I just LOVE getting to know new people, hear their life story, and help them get to know themselves and God better. It's been an incredible journey, and I feel on FIRE this transfer! It reminds me of a quote that I love that says, "Be of good cheer, your future is as bright as your faith." I couldn't say anything better than that for the moment we are in right now! Faith moves mountains, works miracles, and shapes us into better people and disciples of Christ :) So, if you have the faith, the future will be everything you want it to be and MORE, just because God loves you that much! (...and more than you will ever imagine!).

We did have some hard things happen this week too of course. Yesterday, we called L** (our investigator with a baptism date scheduled) to get him awake and going for church, and he answered right away and said,"I don't want to go to your church again, and I want to return your Book of Mormon." When we asked what happened and why he changed his mind, he just said, "I didn't like the idea of temples and don't want to be a part of that. I'm sorry," and then he hung up. You can imagine how heart broken we were after having taught this man for weeks and preparing his baptism! That lesson about temples was the last one before his baptism interview this week. Of course, Satan tends to be very hard on investigators the week of their baptism, so we knew something would happen eventually that would try his faith and testimony. We are planning to visit with him this week and try to help him understand the wonderful blessings that come from the temple, and why they are so important. Please keep him in your prayers! We hope to have the chance to talk to him so that he can still be baptized.

G** (daughter of our friend who died last week) is doing well but, sadly, wasn't able to come to church yesterday either. But, she is coping well with the loss of her mother and really has become close to us as a result. Her testimony is amazing, and I hope with all my heart to see her be baptized.

Well guys, that is all that I have for this week! I will make sure to get some pictures with my new companion this week so you all can kind of "meet her." Shes great! :) I hope that you all have a great week and I will talk to you all next week! I love you!!!

xoxoxoo Hermana Avery

God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again (November 17, 2014)

Thanksgiving, Chilean Style  (December 1, 2014)