Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween is Complicated in Peru - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Elders Avery and Estrada (on right)
Well, it's not Halloween quite yet, but today I'm dressing up for our preparation day (P-day) activity. Halloween is highly controversial here. There are many churches that say it's from the devil, other people say that it's not Latin American so they shouldn't do it, other people celebrate canción criolla on the 31 (I don't know what it is), and others celebrate All Saints Day on the first of November. Basically, it's a complicated situation.

This week we found a few new families to teach. I feel like the hardest part is helping people go to church. We normally would pick people up as missionaries, but in my ward we have ward council right before sacrament so we are very helpless to pick up investigators. We can only call them.


I'm so happy that you sent me the pictures of Abi's baptism!! I'm sure you guys had quite an eventful week. Bek has gotten so big and Jared is already a junior in high school. He's as old as I was when we moved to Virginia...wow. He's got no time yet until he leaves on his mission.

I'm sorry for being short today but there's a bunch of stuff that I need to do. We're praying for baptisms this week and next week, so we'll see how it goes! Love you guys and wish you the best!

- Elder Jake Avery

Oh, that I were an Angel! (October 20, 2014)

Our Course Toward Home  (November 3, 2014)