Monday, July 28, 2014

The Holy Matrix - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Elder Mamani and Elder Avery
In the background of this photo you will see that Elder Mamani and I have created a plan to keep track of our work in this area. I have named it, "The Holy Matrix." I'm expecting great things to come of it!

You can really never say that you had a bad week while you're a missionary, but you CAN always say that you hope the next week will go better. We had a fantastic first half of the week. Our numbers were super high, we were teaching our investigators with baptisms scheduled, then the Lord decided that he wanted me to exercise a little more. So, we walked around and around and around the rest of the week. The bright side is, my calves are so toned right now. It's like I was playing in World Cup ;) 

I don't know what happened, but our appointments fell through so on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We had one appointment each day, despite being in the street for 10 or 12 hours a day.

While I was walking, I had time to think about why I was still feeling happy. Yes, I was walking like a lost zebra, but I was happy like a moose :) I explained to my companion that I was still happy because when I'm on my mission and working I feel like I'm doing something important. I think everyone wants to be important, or at least do something important. We want to do something and look back to see that that we did was worthwhile. On my mission, I feel like even my least productive days are days worth living because the effects of this work are Eternal. The blessings we receive for practicing and even teaching this Gospel last forever, while everything else in this world like culture, games, movies, studies, careers, houses, awards, toys, music, and money will end. How embarrassed would I be to admit to God that I didn't help hasten the work because I was with my friends, I was working, I was in school, or I was just tired?

I walked around in circles all day(s) talking to people that put all of these temporary things in the forefronts of their lives instead of where they belong, in the back seat. I am so grateful for the Gospel that the Lord restored through the prophet, Joseph Smith, and that I have the information I need in order to know the difference between what really is important and worthwhile to focus on in life, and what simply is not important.

What is important is improving ourselves and helping others come closer to Christ. The whole point of this life is to progress spiritually. The only way we can do that by having faith in Christ, repenting, making covenants and doing our best until the end. It's that simple.

Well, I love all of you and I pray for you people :) I wish you a great week and a great last month of summer while I'm enjoying my last month of winter. See ya! :)

Love, Elder Avery

Back to the Dust Bowl (July 28, 2014)