Monday, May 5, 2014

Disappointment is Part of the Journey - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Clicking on highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)

Elders Aldana and Avery in Yungay, Peru
Well, it's good to hear that after 13 years of knowing the guy, you're finally giving him a Book of Mormon. My mission president would have transferred you by now! Nah, that's actually really cool. That's why members are sooooo important in preaching the gospel. The members are ''real people'' who don't get transferred every 6 weeks. Your friend would do so well in the Church. It would help him and his kid a ton.

I got bummed out because our baptisms didn't happen. The 24 year old sister went to her interview and told Elder Garner that she just doesn't want to be baptized yet. He read the requirements in the Book of Mormon, explained to her that she is ready according to the word of God, and that the only way to finish her repentance is by getting baptized. She still didn't accept the invitation, even though she has a testimony and everything. Her 18 year old sister didn't even want to go to her interview.... They're having a tough time because their whole family is Catholic, and they don't like us. Her brother told us on Saturday, the day after their interviews, that he wanted this to be the last time we go over or to just leave now. Our Ward Mission Leader asked him, " Where do you want us to go?'' He responded, ''I don't know. Just anywhere but here.''
The Morning breaks, the shadows flee...

So, we didn't make a good impression with the family. There's one brother who has asked us to come over, like 5 times, but every time we visit him he's getting drunk with his friends.

We were really crushed from that though. We have the eyes of the whole zone and mission president on our area because they know it's a hard area, then something like that happens. I'm ready to go out and find some other people to teach.

By the end of this transfer, we'll have multiple baptisms, I'm sure of it. I have faith. God is preparing His children to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. I just need to find those children.

Our stake president - great guy!
Have a great week, Dad. Thanks for helping me out. I'm so glad that I can be a missionary, and it's really thanks to you and Mom and your help. I think about all the people, in all of history, who would have died to have the opportunity to be a missionary in the Lord's true church. And I have that opportunity right now. Thank you so much!  I'll see you this Sunday :) I'll call you at about 3 or 3:30. My mission president doesn't want me to call for more that 30 minutes, and doesn't want me to call my girlfriend (because that was going to be such a huge issue, haha!).

Oh, Mom, I was thinking. You should read Preach My Gospel with Josh and Jared. Or at least Chapter 3. Elder Ballard gave a neat talk about that in Conference and I think it would be really cool for you to look at again.

I love you so much. I can't wait to see you this week! Have fun.

Stuff Keeps Happening (April 28, 2014)

All of Us Have Four Roles (May 12, 2014)