Monday, February 17, 2014

The Strength of the Lord - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Some names are omitted for privacy. Clicking on highlighted words links to additional information. Clicking on photos enlarges them.)

Hello my sweet family and friends!

Well, we had a crazy busy week! We found four more new investigators to teach, and taught over 20 lessons! Whew! We are tired, but the strength of the Lord keeps us going every day!

Hermana Puertas and Hermana Avery
We visited with Hermana B** (our Relief Society President here), and she is washing our sheets and towels today so that we don’t have to wash them in our tiny sink by hand! They need a good washing for sure. Thank heavens for her washing machine! She is the best. Seriously! I am so grateful for her. She is a really amazing woman, and has gone through a lot of hardship in her life. Her mom died before she was 10 and she was raised by her aunts and grandma. She now has 2 kids and was sealed in the temple to her husband. She told us countless stories last night about how she and her husband started off from really humble means at the beginning of their marriage, but thanks to paying tithing, they have never been without the things they need. In fact, they are getting ready to buy a second house and rent out the one that they are living in! Her testimony of tithing is incredible, and strengthened mine too!

So, we had some crazy adventures this week! First off, Fia, the old lady that we sing hymns to, is really starting to lose her memory now. She is almost 90 years old. When we sang to her this week, we asked her if she liked the song, and she said, “Dejenme aqui, para que yo puedo hablar con mi mama!” (Leave me so I can talk to my mother.) Her daughter then told her that her mom died years ago and wasn’t there. Poor thing. She cried a lot. Super sad. At least she will get to see her mom in the eternities <3

Hermana Puertas and I were walking home last night and a little puppy followed us the whole way! We gave him cookies and water, haha! (That is all that we had at the moment!) He is super cute, and we gave him to the Branch President to take to the fields this week on his ranch. We named him “Elder” since he is a boy…. And will soon serve his “mission” in the fields! Haha! Anyways, I sent Mom a video of him so that you all can see!


We had district conference this week and learned a LOT about the need for members helping missionaries in missionary work! Here is a great video that we saw, that really helps open the eyes to the importance of your help in this great work! You don’t have to have a name tag to be a missionary!

Click here to see the video

And for all of you kiddos who are getting ready to serve missions (Aka: JOSHIE!), here is an article that I love that I thought you would like too! It talks about covenant keeping. Really awesome!

Keeping Covenants: A Message for Those Who Will Serve a Mission (Click on the link to read the article!)

Well guys, have a fabulous week, and thank you for ALL of your love and support! I am lucky to be here, and super blessed! Here is a scripture that was on my mind this morning:

Book of Alma, Chapter 26, Verses 35-37 (from the Book of Mormon)

35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.

37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.

Until next week! ¡Ciao!

Xoxoxo, Hermana Avery

Chilly in Chile (February 10, 2014)

Puppies (February 24, 2014)