Monday, February 17, 2014

Poco a Poco - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Some names are omitted for privacy. Clicking on highlighted words will link to additional information. Clicking on photos will enlarge them.)

When I told Hermana Eva (the kind woman who feeds the missionaries every day) that my debit card number was  stolen and used in Miami, it didn't surprise her one bit. Miami is a popular destination for Peruvians in the United States. I've only used my card 3 or 4 times my entire mission, and the only time it wasn't at an ATM was at the most modern store here called Tottus. In fact, I still have the receipt from that day. Well, I'm sure glad the bank could flag it immediately and shut it down.

Elder Avery, Hyrum, Elder Calderon
Hyrum is a good friend. He actually doesn't live here. He lives near my mission office, but Hermana Eva is his grandma and Renzo (Stake President A***'s son) is his cousin. Those two are always together, especially now during vacations. They're Jared and Brig all over again. They did a dance performance that's on Facebook for a youth activity

I got two birthday parties!! One was held by the Bishop and the other was with the A*** family. I ate a bounty of cake and other goodies. Regrettably, I had already eaten all the Dove chocolate you sent, but I shared a piece or two.

Renzo's Birthday Party
Yeah, I got so sick on Tuesday. At 5 o'clock, I called it quits until 7 (I slept the whole solid two hours), then I went to teach English classes. Then we taught J** a lesson for the Melchizedek Priesthood. He's going to be ordained this month! My companion got sick that night too. I just don't like eating food that's not from a bag or prepared by Hermana Eva.

We finally returned to Hermano L**'s land to help build his house. We leveled out rocks, chiseled away boulders, and carried a bunch of sand over there to make a smoother base for the house. On Friday, we may actually build the house. As you can see in the picture here, I got very dirty.

Two dirty missionaries
The work is progressing here. Steadily, but surely. I've been thinking about a saying that exists in the culture here, ''poco a poco'' (little by little). This saying doesn't sit well with me. It implies patience, which is great. But it also implies little or no action. For example, sometimes people will tell the new American missionaries that the language will come, ''poco a poco,'' or they'll tell missionaries with little success, ''poco a poco.''

In English we'd say, ''Keep studying and you'll get it,'' or '' Keep at it, and you'll start seeing success.'' I guess I just prefer how we say it in English. Although, in the United States, I think we fundamentally lack patience, we know that nothing happens until somebody makes it happen. I hope that all you kids in school keep it up, and stick with what you're doing. Don't let the seemingly endless tasks discourage you. Have patience and keep going.


Elder Calderon and Elder Avery
Peru Lima West Mission

I've been in this area almost seven months and I've seen two types of people. Those who wait for something to happen and those who make things happen. The people who make things happen always progress, while those who merely wait without acting are carried all over.

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes. I'd love to check my Facebook, but I don't want to get struck by lighting, haha! I love you guys and miss you!!

Elder Avery

Happy Birthday to Me! (February 10, 2014)

King of the Mountain (February 24, 2014)