Monday, February 10, 2014

Hit by a Car - Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

Well this week was way good. We had some really good experiences, and some way good lessons with people.

For starters, we went to go visit C** real quick on Monday night because we hadn’t visited her for a while, and she is supposed to be baptized next week. When we got there, she told us that she was not ready to be baptized and that she would like to wait. She said really likes the church and the people, but she has her own faith. She will still be friends but doesn’t know if she wants to join with us right now. We just bore testimony and told her that we are here for her and that we would love to see her in church this week.

The painting Coach gave me
On Tuesday we met with T** and C**.  T** told us that he had to work and would not be able to come to church this week, but he is hoping to come next week.

The appointment with Coach went well. He has been painting some art and gave me and Elder Wilsher some first prints. It's way cool because we are the first to ever get them. He says he really like us and that he is happy we go see him. We talked a little about choices and how free agency is gift from God. But, in every choice there is a consequence, whether it be positive or negative. We are going to give him hair cut tomorrow, haha.

Wednesday came around and we had district meeting. We had a good time. After that we went to visit some people who, unfortunately, were not home. While cooking dinner that evening, the thought came to go deliver this children’s Book of Mormon Stories to J**. We followed the prompting, even though we know that he works at night.

After ringing the door once, the window opened and J** was like, "Hey guys, come in!"  We gave him the book and told him it was a gift, and that he could read to his girls about Jesus. He loved it. Then we asked if he needed anything and he said he needed some beds put together. We looked at each other in our suits, laughed, and went to work. It's crazy how much service one man can use, but it's also way good because he is super busy, and he said it would have taken him weeks to get it all done. We did it in 3 hours. Then, the next morning he needed help tearing down part of a wall, so we gladly accepted. Demolition is always fun, haha!

Later we were riding to the bus station on our bikes, knowing the bus would be coming at the 55 and it was about 50, so we had to go fast. I had my big coat on and the wind picked up, so it felt like I had a parachute on my back. Elder Wilsher made the light, but I didn't. When the light turned green, I stuck my hand out to make a left turn (both lanes turned left) and started to go. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a silver Ford barreling towards me with no intension of stopping. I slammed on my worn out brakes, but it was too late. He hit my handle bar, throwing me into the side of the car. Luckily, the Lord was watching out for me and helped me push myself off the car. After the initial contact the car started to stop, and by the time they reached the end of the intersection I was able to keep my speed and ride away. Everyone just paused and stared as I rode away smiling. Elder Wilsher says the car was going about 40 miles per hour, but I think it was closer to 30 :) I was definitely being watched over! No harm, no foul, but I was on a crazy adrenaline rush for about 20 minutes after that!

When Saturday came around, we had planned to visit some people who live in a city that hasn’t been visited by missionaries for about six months. Not many people wanted to listen, so we visited some less active members and got some potential appointments.

On our way back to Hernig, I heard a screech and turned to see Elder Wilsher rolling on the ground! His bike tires slipped because it was raining. He got up, shouted to me, jumped on his bike like a champ, and just kept riding. Handled it like a pro!

Sunday was a bit crazy. I spoke about Christ again. It was okay, but I feel like I repeat myself. Right before I spoke, Sister Amdi gave me her phone and had me read the text message that she received. It was from C**.  She was on her way to church and got in a car accident. Just another testimony to me about how hard Satan is working on her. She is okay, but her car is totaled. She walked away without a scratch, but obviously, she didn't make it to church.

After church, we went home, made lunch, then went straight to C**'s house. She said she was grateful and told us that she was so happy to know that her Heavenly Father was watching out for her. We also talked about her father and mother and how much they meant to her. We felt prompted to tell her that her father is out there, with our Father in Heaven, watching over her. She said she knows that, and that her dad told her she needs to be baptized. We are going continue to meet with her, and she even picked the place she wants to be baptized when she gets her answer.

Crazy week...three crashes and some crazy good working days! In all of it, we learned that our Father in Heaven loves us and wants what’s best for us. But, even more importantly, He is watching out for us more then we know. I know that God's hands are in everything. There is always something to be learned from our choices and our actions. The Lord blesses us so much, and most of the time we don’t see the good in what is happening. Looking for the good in everything not only makes it easier to handle the situation, but it allows us to really see why we are going through it. There is a reason to everything.

Med Kærlig Hilsen,

Ældste Madsen

Kristus (February 3, 2014)

God Has a Plan (February 17, 2014)