Monday, February 10, 2014

Commencement of Adventures in Newport News

Written by Elder Dallin Remund, serving in the Virginia Chesapeake Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Well hey, y'all!

Like I mentioned in last week's letter, transfers happened. I went all the way from the middle of nowhere in North Carolina, bottom of the mission, serving in an English speaking ward to going up to a big city in Virginia, top of the mission, serving in a Spanish speaking branch.

Needless to say, I am still recovering from shock. The work up here is totally different. It is exciting!

We took a three and a half hour drive from Albertson, NC up to Portsmouth, VA on Thursday. Long, long ride. We had a big transfer meeting and there were just tons of missionaries. I got to see my trainer, Elder Knott, and meet my new companion, Elder Bradshaw. It was a great day of reunions! Elder Bradshaw was in the MTC (Missionary Training Center) the same time as me, but we were in a different MTC district. He is super fun. Very humble, and he has picked up Spanish really well. I feel a little behind, but I know that being surrounded by Spanish members and being in this branch will help me like it helped him!

We're staying in some pretty nice apartments. I really like the set up. We are staying in the apartment with the Zone Leaders. It is a ton of fun having two other missionaries to talk with all the time. So fun. Up here in the Newport News zone, there are TONS of missionaries. The gospel is getting preached like crazy up here.

We haven't been able to teach hardly at all because our own personal car is in the shop from a car accident that happened before I came in. So next week I should have some actual teaching/preaching stories. Right now I have just been settling in and trying to take in all the changes that come with city missionary life.

The branch is amazing. The Hispanics are so loving, and they feed us a ton! We have a dinner every night this month besides Valentine's Day... I am praying I can still eat all this food and have the workouts to keep me continuing to lose weight, haha!

Well, my time is just about up! The gospel is true! It is universal. That same Spirit I felt down in North Carolina is just as strong up here.

I hope y'all have a great day.

Cuidense,

Elder Remund

From Country to City

Happy Valentine's Week