Monday, January 20, 2014

Mi Amor (My Love)

Written by Sister Justyce Oliphant, serving in the Mexico Tuxtla Gutierrez Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Sometimes the easy choice is to give up, but we are all instructed to never give up and endure through our trials until then end. I  have been studying the Ensign from October Conference and I liked these quotes from President Uchtdorf's talk, "Come, Join with Us!"

"One of the purposes of the church is to nurture and cultivate the seed of faith, even in the sometimes sandy soil of doubt and uncertainty."
 
"The church is filled with people who DESIRE with all their heart to keep the commandments, even if they haven't MASTERED them yet."

"None of us is quite as Christlike as we know we should be."

Also, in Elder Bednar's talk, "The Windows of Heaven," he explains how sometimes we ask for certain blessings, and when we don't get exactly what we want and when we wanted it, we get upset or discouraged. But, like it says in Isaiah 55:8-9, our ways are not the Lord's ways. When we ask for help, the Lord always gives it; we might just need to sometimes take a step back and look for it, but his help is always there.

I also love the scripture in Alma 26:12 where it says that without the Lord we are nothing, but with Him we can accomplish anything. I love that because I know that without the Lord, I would not be able to accomplish anything on this mission. I rely on Him for everything; comfort, peace, help in deciding what to study, help in our companionship in planning who to visit and when and where to go. We are constantly praying and relying fully on the Lord. I wish that I would have realized how much He can help us before my mission! It truly is amazing how much He does for us.

In Preach My Gospel, I love the quote from President Monson on pg 120.  Also, I would suggest studying humility and patience. I have been studying those this week and found a lot of help! Also, in the Ensign from October Conference, I am studying this week, "The Key to Spiritual Protection" by President Packer. Join with me in my study? :)

This week was pretty normal. I didn't get transferred last Monday, which is good! I like my companion and I like our area. We are working hard at contacting lots of people because we need new people to teach. We have a few people who are wanting to be baptized, but they need to get married first and their 'other' half doesn't want to get married...which causes problems! But we are working with them! One sister is doing awesome, her testimony is so strong. We are praying for her to find a way to be baptized... meaning softening his heart so they can get married.

Other than that, nothing out of the normal.

I have been having allergic reactions to something; some of the ward members think it's bugs...I think it might be the milk here so I have stopped drinking milk. Looks like it's water and juice for the next 16-ish months! Our doctor did say that the red bumps on my legs and arms are bugs (I am not sure what), but we have sprayed this stuff in our house and have a lavender candle thing that will supposedly kill them all...so hopefully the itching will soon stop!

I love you all! I pray for you by name every day. I am so excited for Damon. It's such a different experience living away from home. I sure love that kid, give him a huge hug for me okay!?

Tell Wendy I love her new house I got the picture from g and g... so fun!

Until next week!!

Hermana Oliphant

The Lord's Way

Locked Out?!?!