Monday, January 20, 2014

Happy Martin Luther King Day - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

(Note to reader: Clicking on highlighted words will link to more information. Some names are omitted for privacy.)

Happy Martin Luther King Day to you all. We were doing service, shoveling boat loads of sand and dirt to flatten out a member's land. There were six Elders, including me, and the member, but we were still shoveling practically nonstop for three hours. Maybe because in some remote part of our brains, we remembered that it's near Martin Luther King Day, so we were singing "Jeremiah was a Bull Frog", "Follow the Drinking Gourd," "Let it Shine," and "Amazing Grace." It was a lot more inspirational than the traditional Peruvian music playing off in the distance. Then C**, the member, brought out his sub woofer and blasted dub step... so much for our inspirational moment :)

Elder Avery and Elder Calderon
We found a family to teach. A single mom and two teenagers. We taught them the Plan of Salvation on Saturday, and they went to church on Sunday and stayed all three hours. It was exciting. The bishopric recognized them in Sacrament Meeting, a strong active family in the ward turned out to be friends with them, and the bishopric is going to visit their house this weekend.

I'm finally in the groove. I'm not looking at the calendar like, ''I'm going to die here!,'' but I'm looking at the calendar like, ''Because I'm doing this every day for two years, other people will be happy for their entire lives and beyond.'' I really am happy. I'm doing video blogs in my room, and I'll send my sim card to you guys soon. I'll make sure it's safe.

I read in Mosiah about the people of Limhi. With King Noah, they were very naughty and they really spiraled downward for many years, spiritually and politically. These people weren't anywhere near "saints." They used their daughters to seduce their enemy, and swore in their wrath to kill the king. But even they, with a real concern for peace and for prosperity, turned to the Lord and He did hear their cries. I have hope that even our country, in it's declining state, can turn back to the Lord. It won't happen over night, and it will get worse before it gets better, but when we really have genuine concern for the important things like family, peace, progress, that's when the Gospel of Jesus Christ will be the obvious answer to all of the worries and problems that face us.

Have a great week! I get to look for rooms for the Sister missionaries because they're coming the 28th!! I love you and miss you lots! Happy Martin Luther King Day! He was a truly great man.

Love,

Elder Avery

The Worth of One Soul is Great (January 13, 2014)

Something's Fishy  (January 27, 2014)