Monday, October 7, 2013

The Lord's Ways are Simple - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, currently serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Haha, I'm doing fine and I've recovered from the service project. We actually went again on Tuesday and it was much easier the second time around. The family is progressing. A little slower than I'd like, but they're serious about the gospel. We taught them last night about faith and repentance. We were pretty sad that they couldn't go to General Conference.

Yes, coming back looking like Thor is the general plan :)

Dad, I talk to so many less active people and it breaks my heart when they don't understand the importance of the gospel or how much it will help their lives. ''My yoke is easy and my burden is light.'' We can pray, insist, teach and explain, but ultimately it's their choice.

Conference was exactly what I needed. I can't express with words alone how much I know this church is true. I've been to a couple of other churches here, and can tell none of them are true. Jesus Christ has restored His Church to the earth. This is the time for us to prepare to meet God, and we can prepare much better than we may think.

Thanks for your prayers and support. You're in my prayers too. Remember that the Lord's ways are simple. He has said that none of His commandments are temporal, but spiritual. Sure, they might have temporal benefits, but they are all for our spiritual well-being.

I love you guys and think about the things you've taught me often. I'm deeply grateful for the lessons I've learned and the experiences I've had. Things like the Getty Museum, Park City, the duck pond, and our numerous Family Home Evenings are really all I have left of you guys right now, and I'm so grateful to God that I have them. I love you! :)

Sorry, no letter for the blog this week. I'm out of time! (So, I am adding his email to our family to the blog :)

The Lord Puts His Servants Where He Needs Them, When He Needs Them (September 30, 2013)

We Have the Answers (October 13, 2013)