Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Men Are That They Might Have Joy - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jake Avery, serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

I'm doing well. I'm always busy and ready to go do something else. The people in my area are doing good, more or less. It's very hard to got people to go to church. We're getting better at helping them get there though. We have transfers in two weeks, and we think Elder China is leaving. It'll be sad, and I'm kind of scared to find out who my next companion will be :P But, I'm sure we'll do great together.

We had interviews with the Mission President this week. He told me that we should be baptizing every week. It's a hefty goal, but it's totally possible. The people that are ready are ready. I had the opportunity to baptize Hermana Roxanna (she's actually my 4th live, meaning I baptized her myself, and our 7th as a companionship). We don't have enough investigators that go to church, or that are married, to baptize anyone this week. We are working on that.

I hope you guys know that I'm doing great, and that I'm perfectly happy! Dad, you've been anything but a drill sergeant :P I look back at all the lessons you've taught me, and I'm so thankful that I had a dad that taught me those lessons when I was so young. If you knew how much you've helped me in my life, you'd never doubt yourself again. I hope you guys are doing well and are happy. I feel your prayers out here everyday, and they help a lot.

Elder China got jealous when President Equije (the Stake President we live with) had all of his house painted, except our room up on the third floor. After a few days of convincing from Elder China (I totally did not care at all if our room got painted or not...there is so much dust here, things get dirty when you breath on them), he finally sent the painter to our room. The painter is a cool guy. He's in our ward (congregation) and has two kids. One is just ten days old. So, we took all of our stuff outside, where they are at the mercy of the elements, while he painted our room. It was an adventure.

Thanks for the updates, Mom!! I actually read them, but then I have no time to talk about them. How's Lisa? And how's Dirk and Naomi? I've gotten mail from Mom-mom, your post card from Park City, and letters from Hannah. That's it :P I'm waiting earnestly for anything else, haha. Christmas and Halloween will be greatly welcomed days! Everyone is already old! Abi is 7, Bek is 14, and Mom-mom has hit her 30's. What will we ever do?! I'm excited for all the cool things going on in everyone's life. Wish Josh luck on the ACT and driving test. You'll never regret a good ACT score.

As for music, it should be in harmony with my calling as a missionary, and should not dull spiritual sensitivity due to loudness or beats. Tabernacle Choir is okay. The Nashville Tribute Band, Coldplay (Streets of London and Death and to all his friends). You can email songs, Josh! You know what I like, and you know what's appropriate. Email some over this week!

I love the Nacho Libre quotes, Dad. I wonder when you'll run out. There are so many things I have to tell you guys! Overall, I love you and I'm so happy that we spent time together. I'm so glad we read scriptures and books together, had Family Home Evening, went to the duck pond, the Getty Museum, St. George, the Muse Concert, Temple Square, and everything else. Remember, ''Men are that they might have joy.'' Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Avery

We Have the Answers (October 14, 2013)

We're Not Here to Herd Goats (October 28, 2013)

Hermana Roxanna and her family at her baptism.

Here's the picture of my "sweet face"
that you asked for, Mom :)