Monday, September 16, 2013

Menace to Society?! Nah... :) Elder Kolby Madsen

Written by Elder Kolby Madsen, currently serving in the Denmark Copenhagen Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Danish.

Hey Mor, (Mom)

Thanks for the pictures. It's always way good to see them. Ok, quick question. Is that the park right next to the Card's? Does that mean that they took out that wall? If so, that’s crazy! Everything is going to be way weird when I get back. Who knows what can happen in the next two years?! Crazy stuff.

It's actually been raining here, finally. We had a way hot summer. Not as hot as you guys, but for Denmark, hot. So it's nice to wake up and it's dark and raining every morning. It's kind of relaxing actually.

Anyway, I will be buying a bike here in the next week. I got a sweet deal, 1500 krone, for a brand new mountain bike. That’s the cheapest price for any brand new bike here. I know why we had to bring $600 now. Denmark is kind of ridiculous.

I heard that Brett had his farewell. How was it? Thank you for the great words. I love reading things like that from you. It means a lot. And I know that there is a reason for everything. Sometimes it's hard to see how, but there is.

By the way, as far as I know, I will be in the same area for the next transfer. Me and Elder Hansen will be parting ways, so this is the second to last P-day (preparation day) together. Crazy stuff. Also, if you have been getting some weird texts or calls from a way weird number, it's because there is a lady from here trying to call you and talk to you about me. Just FYI. Do you still have the same number?

This week was pretty good. We had a great district meeting on Tuesday. Then right after, I took over the area, and me and Elder Christiansen went on splits. It was way good. As we were planning out our day, we were both talking, and I was asking him how I should try to get an appointment with the "miracle family" we have been teaching. We haven’t been able to meet with them since the whole ambulance thing, which really stinks because we can’t really talk to or teach them much on Sundays. They are extremely busy during the week, so that is why it's way hard. As Elder Christiansen and I talked about them, we were impressed to text them, very boldly and forward like. At first I was hesitant because I don’t want to lose them, or lose their trust. But it was a prompting, and I am on the Lord's errand, not my own. So we went for it, having faith that all would be okay. Well, after we waited for a good 20 minutes and didn't get a response, we just finished our lunch and went out to work, contacting referrals and former investigators.

While doing that, this guy told us that he knew some Mormons and that he liked them a lot. But he told us that we are wasting our time here, and that we are really just being a menace to society. Pretty much called us losers. Unfortunately, it's a very common thing here in Denmark. After that, I just felt sad, not for myself, but that the man called the Lord's work pointless. I wondered if he'd feel differently if he just knew even a little bit about what we do, and why we are here. We are not out to try to convince people that our religion is true. We're here to show people that we have the gospel and give them a chance to find it out themselves. Well anyway, after that I just kind of shrugged it off, and we kept on going.

We had this way nice guy come up to us, and in a very thick Danish accent he said in English, "Hi, Elders." We talked to him for a little while. He lived in Sandy for a year with his dad, and he loved Utah. He loved the church, but he "likes the freedom he has as a Dane," and doesn't care much for religion. But he told us that he knows what we do, and he understands and respects it. So it was way cool to hear that. A little, tender mercy from the Lord gave us a boost of love from Him.

We got home at like 8:30 p.m. and started to make phone calls to those referrals we received who were not home. When we started to plan for the next day, we got a text from Juliet. She told us that she was sorry we haven’t been able to meet, but she wants to meet next Friday, the 20th, at 18:00 for dinner and a lesson for her daughters. So after praying for a week about what we should do, we didn't really feeling like we received anything like an answer. Then the Lord answered in His time, just telling us to be bold, text them, and let them know we love them. Now we have an appointment with this lovely family.

The rest of the week was about the same. Just contacting and trying to talk to those former investigators to see if they want to meet with missionaries again. I am supper excited for Zone Conference. President Sederholm went to a Europe Mission Presidents Conference with some of the Apostles. They talked about what we need to be doing as missionaries to find people in Europe. I'm very excited to learn what I need to do to follow my Heavenly Father in the best way, and to find His children who are ready to receive the gospel into their lives.

Well, I love you and hope you are having a great time. I hope volleyball is still way fun, and that the family is doing way well. I love you so much, and I miss you. I know the Lord is watching over you. Please keep having fun and just worry about what you can do to serve our Father in Heaven. That could be inviting those less active or non-members to volleyball...great opportunity there. Whatever it is, I love you, and thanks for all you have done and are doing for me. I love you so much. :)

Med Kærlig Hilsen,

ÆLdste Madsen

150 Days in Denmark (September 9, 2013)

Goosebumps Mean the Same Thing in Danish (September 23, 2013)

Elder Madsen at Denmark's famous "Little Mermaid" Statue

What's better than a super sized ice cream cone?
Two super sized ice cream cones!
Workin' it!

Yes, I was the ONLY one who could finish my ice cream!

Jytte is a sweet old lady who loves the missionaries and
feeds us very good Danish food every month.

The beach in Copenhagen

Pretty much the only fun a missionary can have at the beach!