Monday, September 30, 2013

I Had to Whack Him and Start Running! - Sister Hannah Avery

Written by Sister Hannah Avery, currently serving in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hola familia y amigos! (Hello family and friends!)

How are things in los Estados Unidos (the United States)?! I hope that you are all doing fabulous and that you had a great week. Thanks for keeping me updated on things! I feel like I am at home even though I am VERY far away. This week has been a crazy week! Here is what happened in my crazy life as a missionary:

I was transferred to Ovalle, which is up north (up towards the top of our mission boundaries). I knew that I was going there too! The night before we found out where I was going, I knew that I was going somewhere up north...and here I am! Crazy, right?! I can feel the Spirit with me always, and it is super cool and such a blessing!

This is a pretty poor area, and I always pray that I won't get pulga bites (fleas), or get sick from the food. Things aren't cooked very well. But the people are amazing and very generous! And everyone LOVES that I can speak English, haha! Everyone here loves Rush and One Direction (bands in the USA), and they always ask me if I have met them in person, simply because I lived in the USA. LOL! No, I don't know them, but I do know their songs!

The people love hearing me speak English and they always ask me to say things that they say in Spanish, in English. I am going to be teaching an English class every Tuesday with another missionary (an Elder) from the USA. I don't remember the Elder's name, but it should be really cool! AND a great way to get more people to teach! The work is moving along, for sure.

We don't teach a lot of new people (investigadores). Rather, we teach the menos activos (less active members of the church). There are SOOOOO many here in Chile, so we are trying to get them and their families to come back to church. So far, we have four families coming back to church. It is really neat!

Guess what?? I invited my first people to baptism! It is going to be a DOUBLE baptism. Two sisters, ages 11 and 12. Their names are Sophia and Catalina. I am so happy for them! We are hoping to hold the baptism between sessions of General Conference on Saturday. We will see how it goes!

My new companion's name is Hermana Mori. She is from Lima, Peru, so Jake may know her family! I told her that he is in the Lima West mission, and she said that her family is pretty close to there. So maybe they will run into him at some point in time! I don't think they are members of our church, but I could be wrong.... she speaks really fast and confuses me sometimes, haha! But she helps me a lot with my Spanish and is so kind! She is 19 years old, was baptized about 3 years ago, and is now on a mission!

While we were out shopping for groceries last week, a homeless guy tried to steal my watch off my arm! AHH! I have worn a jacket or long sleeved shirt ever since, just so people can't see it. So scary! He literally was tugging on my arm, and I had to whack him and start running! LOL! I didn't hit him hard, just a little tap and flung my arm so he would go away. It was super scary though, for real....

They are going to offer General Conference in English (I think) for the Americans! I am praying for that to happen. I do understand a lot of Spanish, but I love Conference and really want to be able to soak it all in. Pray for me that I can listen in English! I would be soooo happy :)

I get to play the piano here a lot too. That simplified hymn book is super helpful a lot of the time! No one here plays, and they can not sing on tune for the life of them, so I am glad to get to help out in that way :)

Well, that is all that I have for this week! Sadly, we hardly have any time to write emails, but I promise that letters will come your way soon! The Chileno postal service is just really slow, so be patient! I love you all so much and hope that you have yet another wonderful week! Stay safe, be smart, and keep the Spirit with you always! I pray for you all every day and think about you always! You are my heart! I LOVE YOU! Until next week :)

With ALLLLLLLL my love (forever!!!!!!!!!!),

Hermana Avery

Hola from Chile! (September 23, 2013)

"Doubt Your Doubts Before You Doubt Your Faith" (October 7, 2013)

Hermana Mori and Hermana Avery
Ovalle, Chile

Preparing for the long bus ride to my new area of Ovalle, Chile.

Before transfers, we attended a few classes
(Sister Avery is in the raincoat on the right)

Hannah's Mission President posted this photo on his blog....that's our
crazy girl! It does our hearts good to see her so happy!