Monday, September 2, 2013

Bread Nuggets, English Literature, and Popcorn - Elder Jake Avery

Written by Elder Jacob Avery, currently serving in the Peru Lima West Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, speaking Spanish.

Hi Mom and Dad!

Living the higher law makes you realize things that you normally won't realize, and helps you remember things that you have forgotten or shoved into the back of your mind. Yes, you could say that the Spirit quickens your understanding and gives you a perfect memory.

Well, I'm sure loving being a missionary. You guys have no idea. There's a scripture in Acts that talks about a few of the Saints getting beaten because they wouldn't deny Christ. Afterwards they rejoiced because they were counted worthy to suffer for Christ's sake. I am likewise :)

My poor ankle got a terrible blister for the first week, and this challenge was given to me because I can bear it and come out with a stronger ankle. People have brought us internet pages saying Joseph Smith was a false prophet, but I know the Lord allowed this to happen because he knows my faith in the Gospel of Christ is unshakable. I could boldly bear my testimony of Joseph Smith, the prophet.

My companion has been struggling with being tired, but I have the opportunity to be an example by always getting up on time, and never faltering in my steps. I hear some of my favorite songs being blasted over radios, and God helps me tune them out so that I can continue to focus in the work.

It sufficeth me to say that God watches after the people that truly strive to live His commandments and serve with all their heart, might, mind and strength. And it also sufficeth me to say that God is the only true and lasting power. I boast not of my own strength, but in the strength of God who gives me power because I pray for it daily. Can you tell my only English literature is the scriptures?? Haha!!

Mom, Dad, I hope you guys have a wonderful week. Remember to teach the kids good principles (like always), and thank you so much for being my parents! :) I love you!!

Answers to Dad's Questions:

1. How are you?

I'm doing great!! I'm trying to be the best I can be and  I have seen improvement in the past few weeks.

2. How is your companion doing?

Elder China is having a kind of hard time with being cansado y sueño (tired and sleepy). He's an awesome friend and missionary for the ward, and a really great teacher. He just needs a little more motivation.

3. How much have you grown in the past couple of weeks in the mission field?

In the field I've grown a lot, but in a different kind of way. I've learned the difference between knowing the commandments and actually practicing them. God doesn't send and angel to you every time you do something bad. You're responsible for your own actions and responsible for your own growth. In the MTC (Missionary Training Center) we learned all the rules, and in the field we need to learn how to actually practice the rules.

Answers to Mom's Questions:

1. Do they use bread for the sacrament or tortillas?

Bread nuggets!! They're tasty! The bread in Peru is really crispy, but fluffy. Honestly, it's delicious. I have yet to eat a tortilla here.

2. What are you eating these days?

I'm eating bread nuggets for every breakfast. Yesterday (if you could please accept my Peruvian Facebook requests :P ), you can see that I ate lasagna. There's lots of rice, potatoes and chicken (no fish yet), but my personal favorite is something that Hermana Eva makes a couple times a week. It's a hamburger with beef, egg, tomato, lettuce and fries. It makes my day every time :) I finish Elder China's food when he doesn't as to not offend Hermana Eva... and because it's very, very yummy.

3. How's the language coming along?

Pues...Yo sè como hablar sobre cosas en el Evangelio pero todas las demás de las cosas son mas difícil. Por ejemplo, yo olivé la ciudad donde bajamos y le dije la mujer que estaba trabajando el nombre de una ciudad que no existe. (Well... I know how to talk about things in the Gospel but all other things are more difficult. For example, I saw the city where we got off (the bus), and I told the woman who was working the name of a city that does not exist.)

It's coming, and will come eventually.

4. What's your normal day like?

We get up at 6:30 and exercise.  We turn on the hot water heater as soon as we wake up so that the water is warm by the time we take showers. By  8 o'clock we leave to breakfast, which is just a block away at Hermana Eva's house. We return by 8 or 8:15 and study until 11. Some days we have appointments between 11 and lunch, at 1:30. So we go to our appointments, or my personal favorite, tracting (street contacting). The rest of the day we teach about 6 or 7 lessons and many of them are with members of our congregation present. We get back, eat at Hermana Eva's at 8:30 or 9, then return to the room to plan for tomorrow and go to bed.

5. Who are you teaching?

We teach sooo many people! We teach families, individuals, less active members, and part member families.

6. What's Elder China like? See above!

7. Anything else neat or interesting that we wouldn't think to ask about?

Elder China is a stranger to popcorn. We bought some popcorn because Hermana Eva has a microwave. Elder China tried to cook the popcorn a second time to pop the remaining kernels. A family last week did make Dad's special pop corn (kettle corn), and that was really awesome for me.

Con amor, (with love)

Elder Avery

A Peak into My Life in Peru (August 26, 2013)

Ten Weeks in Peru (September 9, 2013)