Friday, July 26, 2013

Elder Jensen's First Letter from Virginia

Written by Elder Nate Jensen, currently serving in the Washington D.C. South Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Well, the first day we went to the mission home and had interviews and stuff. It was pretty cool. After we talked a little bit, President looked me strait in the eye and said, "I expect a lot out of you. I can tell you have great leadership and I expect a lot." So that was pretty cool. Then he asked who I was and what I did, and all that stuff, so I guess you could say the interview went well. Then we went to bed, woke up, and met my trainer. His name is Elder Chipman.

I have stayed obedient, and we have had success. We have knocked just under 200 doors the past three days, and we already have three investigators, with a ton more potentials. The first are Xavier and Janessa (names changed for privacy). We ran into him street contacting one night, and we were able to set up an appointment. We taught them yesterday, and they were both receptive and loved it.

Our other investigator is named Andy (name changed for privacy), and we met him tracting. He came to church with us yesterday and that was way good. He liked it and wants to keep coming back. We teach him tonight, so we will see how that goes.

It's way weird. President Riggs is super young. He has a ten year old and a thirteen year old. It's pretty crazy. He is awesome though, and every one says he is way good at sports, so I can't wait to see that.

D.C. is ridiculously hot haha!  I have been dying. The humidity is killer out here, but it's all part of the experience, and people take pity on you. I guess you could say we get a ton of free water haha! The other thing is the area that we are in is all Spanish people, so I can't talk to half of the people that we meet, and that's kinda frustrating. But the ones we can talk to, it's worth it. I can't give you my address, but we are in Arlington, Virginia.

It's hard having Lindsey go home (Nate's sister, Lindsey, just arrived home from the West Virginia Charleston Mission, after 18 months of service). Just thinking about that is tough, but I am trying not to, and just focus on the work.

Life is good out here. I don't really have much else to say. Love you lots. Thanks for getting that package sent. Oh, and yeah, my bike and bedding are here, and they are great. Thanks a ton!!

Love,
Elder Jensen